Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Don't Let the Tie Fool You

I had my first round of parent/teacher interviews today. I’d done it last year in my practicum, but that’s obviously not the same thing. For starters, my dick was actually on the line this time.
Quick, think of something ironic to say so it doesn't look like you're just putting up photos of you wearing a tie.

Uhm... "According to Jim" is my favourite show.


I had about 10 parent/guardians come in today, out of a potential… hell, let’s just say 60. To be fair, I doubt many more ever came at Central. It’s also somewhat anticlimactic, since the parents who give a shit enough to come in have generally sired children who are decent students already. There’s rarely much to discuss beyond, “Uhm… yeah, just, er… tell him to keep it up, I’m guessing?”

But there is that nagging fear in the back of my mind that after all these weeks of scraping by, of making my co-workers believe that I am actually competent, some hard-assed parent is finally going to figure it all out. They’ll look at the assignments their kids did or did not hand in, look at the final mark, and realize that my entire operation here is a sham.

“You’re saying you don’t know what level my daughter’s been tested to?”, ”What do you mean you have no evaluation mark for this unit?”, ”Do you think I could take a look at the unit plan you’ve been running the class by?”, ”Are you absolutely positive my son hasn’t handed in these assignments?” and “What particular curriculum requirements does this assignment meet?” are all questions I was never asked today. But, shit, if I have… that woulda been it. The gig would have been up.

I mean, it’s all fun and games until you’re held accountable. And the minute that I am, I do believe that’ll be it for me. And speaking of people who won’t be lasting the whole year here in Sandy Bay, word has filtered down of a posting for a new principal. So, if you have a minimum of 3 years of school based administrative experience and post-graduate training in educational administration or curriculum studies a vagina, by all means, send in your application.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mike, if only there were a WORMHOLE OR ROTATING BLACK HOLE YOU COULD TRAVEL BACK IN TIME AND HAVE NOT COME TO sANDY bAY. Or you could go back in time and create those unit plans....

George

11:26 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

Jesus man, didn't you start drinking no more than three minutes ago?

I think I'd go back in time and try to find Hitler a girlfriend back in the 20s. I mean, Christ... his niece? That can't have been healthy.

11:30 pm  
Blogger Cameron said...

Sucker.

12:29 am  
Blogger Cameron said...

Oh yeah, and do a post about BSG. You going to see the new Bond film?

12:30 am  
Blogger Beth said...

aww poor you - although I DID find this post very amusing I did try not to laugh at your expence lol

12:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, email me you fool.... by the way, good party and fun was had by all! Nice to see you lately! steph

9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home